![]() |
|
Clunking sound when shifting into gear, driveshaft or something else? - Printable Version +- ICPDAS-USA FORUM (https://icpdasusa.us/forum) +-- Forum: My Category (https://icpdasusa.us/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1) +--- Forum: My Forum (https://icpdasusa.us/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=2) +--- Thread: Clunking sound when shifting into gear, driveshaft or something else? (/showthread.php?tid=325) |
Clunking sound when shifting into gear, driveshaft or something else? - drusillacoverdale - 09-16-2026 This started maybe two weeks ago, a dull clunk from underneath whenever I shift from park to drive or when I slow down and get back on the gas. At first I thought it was just the transmission being grumpy in the heat, but it's getting more frequent and now I sometimes feel a slight vibration at highway speed too. A guy at the car wash told me it sounds like a worn U joint or maybe the center bearing, and honestly I don't want to keep driving on it if it's going to turn into something serious. I was searching around and came across a trusted Jeep driveshaft repair in Musaffah that seems to handle this kind of thing, but I'm wondering if I should get a second opinion first since driveshaft work isn't cheap. Has anyone dealt with a similar clunk, and did it end up being the driveshaft or was it actually a mount or suspension issue in disguise? Also, is it safe to drive short distances while I figure this out, or am I gambling with a failure on the road? |